Tuesday, September 19, 2006

theme days

Sorry I missed yesterday. We looked at plot and talked about the plot arc. We read "The Circuit" and filled out a plot wheel. Most of you took the STAR test for reading levels.

Today was nice. We started theme, which is hard. But you guys did a great job. Theme is slippery and difficult to pin down, but most of you seem to get it. We'll do more with it on Thursday. We read some fables and figured out the theme of them.

I also gave out your STAR reading level scores. If you have below a 6.1 GE (grade equivalency), you will have to take the test again. If you still are not up to that level, I will be working with you on getting you there. A 6.1 GE means sixth grade, first month. If you do not pass by the end of the year, you will have to go to summer school for reading (probably taught by me) and as much as I love you, I do not want to see you there. I want you to enjoy your summer.

Tomorrow is early release! We will be finishing Tungsten (for some) and reading a poem/watching a video. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do books always have themes?

mrs. wallace said...

Emma...

That is an excellent question! My first instinct is to say yes, but then I started thinking about it, about the books I've read and assessing whether or not all of them have a theme. I believe all do (at least, all fiction books do). Sometimes the theme may be more difficult to figure out, but it is there. Does that help?

Anonymous said...

Yes! I think they do because they you need a topic to write about! So I say yes!

Anonymous said...

The video of the poem was real funny at least I thought it was.